Grace's Spicy Peach Jam

Spicy Peach Jam / @徳赢真人娱乐场loveand徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏lemons

A few weeks ago,I had dinner with my friend Grace and she brought me the most delicious homemade blackberry jam.Since making jam isn't really my jam,I asked her if she would come over and share a recipe for the blog.Peaches were in peak season,so we decided on spicy peach jam.And last weekend,我们卡住了。Well,technically,she jammed.I watched.Jack took pictures.

Spicy Peach Jam / @徳赢真人娱乐场loveand徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏lemons Spicy Peach Jam / @徳赢真人娱乐场loveand徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏lemons Spicy Peach Jam / @徳赢真人娱乐场loveand徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏lemons

(Canning aside),I was surprised how easy this was.The recipe looks long but,really,the most time consuming part is macerating the peaches overnight.The hands-on steps went pretty quickly.

I just love the sweet & spice combination.我整个星期都在吐司上吃这种果酱,加一大片乳清干酪或杏仁黄油特别好吃。I'm also thinking it would be a fancy,unexpected addition totacos similar to these.

Spicy Peach Jam / @徳赢真人娱乐场loveand徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏lemons

格雷斯辣桃酱
Recipe by: Grace Hall
Author:
服务: 4 cups (or half-pint jars)
Ingredients
  • 3 lb.peaches
  • 1.5 cups sugar
  • 1 cup lightly sweet white wine (I used a Viognier)
  • 7 dried pequin chile peppers,stems removed
  • 3 Granny Smith apples (or pectin)
  • ¼ cup 徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏lemon juice
  • 1个小柠檬的味道(大约一桌)徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏
Instructions
  1. Peel: Cut a small"x"into the bottom of each peach,drop it into boiling water for a minute or two (you'll know when it's ready when you see the skin start to separate near the"x"),remove,and then drop into an ice bath.Once the peach is cool enough to handle,slip the skin off.I've also found that the ease of removing peach skins really depends on the ripeness of the fruit and how it's been grown.If the peach is overripe or underripe,it always seems like it's much harder (sometimes impossible) to remove the skins.In that case,I just cut the skin away.
  2. Cut and mix: Add a little sugar into the bottom of a medium-sized glass (or non-metal,non-reactive) bowl.把每个桃子切成两半,top to bottom,去掉坑。Cut each half into 12-16 thin slices and add to the bowl.在每个桃子之间,add a little more sugar until you've added all the peaches and all the sugar.Then add the wine and the chiles and stir gently until combined.
  3. Macerate (2-3 days): Let the mixture sit in the fridge for at least two days (and up to three).If you want a little extra kick,try this: on the second day,simmer the mixture again,allow to cool,and transfer back to the bowl and let it sit in the fridge for one more day.(这会给你的果酱注入更多的香料。)
  4. Cook: (If you're canning,start preparing your boiling water bath,jars,and lids now).Pour the peach mixture into a colander suspended over a bowl and strain the juices.Transfer the juices to a preserving pan or a heavy-bottomed,wide,deep,non-reactive,uncoated sauté pan.Add the 徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏lemon juice to the pan.Cut the apples into quarters and either add straight to the pan or bundle in a cheesecloth and add to the pan.(You can substitute the apples with homemade or commercial pectin,if you'd prefer.) Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.Continue to boil,stirring from time to time,until the liquid is bubbling thickly and reduced,about 15-20 minutes.Remove the apples and discard or save for another use.Add the peach slices,徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏lemon zest,and any accumulated juices to the syrup in the pan.Bring to a simmer and cook over medium-high heat,经常搅拌,until the mixture is bubbling thickly and the foam subsides,about 15-20 minutes.Remove from heat and stir gently for a few seconds to distribute the fruit.
  5. Can: (optional) Fill your hot,sterile jars to ¼"顶空remove any air bubbles,wipe the rims,put your lids on,在沸水浴中处理10分钟。
  6. Store: Refrigerated,the preserves will keep up to 1 month.Canned,they'll keep in a cool,dark spot for up to 1 year.
Notes
*I tend to use the least amount of sugar I can possibly get away with when making preserves.You can increase the amount of sugar in this recipe if you desire,but if you use less,it will probably affect the set.而且-我真的很喜欢宽松的套装,but if you like a firmer set,use ½ - 1 cup more sugar and / or commercial pectin instead of the Granny Smith apples.

If you make this,let us see!把你的照片贴上 #徳赢真人娱乐场loveand徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏lemonson Instagram.

27 comments

1. It's probably because I'm so read for a snack,but this would be exceptionally good with brie?I don't know,but looks soooo good.喜欢做果酱其实不是你的jam"– puns 🙂 x

• jeanine来自lov徳赢真人娱乐场eandlem徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏ons.comon said:

嗯,it would be really good with brie!Ha,glad someone appreciates my puns 🙂

2. jesseon said:

Hi,I am new to your blog.Its beautiful!In this peach jam post is it your kitchen?Its so beautiful!!Cant wait to try some of these 徳赢真人娱乐场recipes.

• jeanine来自lov徳赢真人娱乐场eandlem徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏ons.comon said:

yep it is – welcome!!

3. Elysefrom lifewithout徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏lemons.comon said:

I love it when I read a recipe and I immediately start thinking what I could use it on!We are still on a major pizza kick around here with our pizza oven so I am thinking that it would be perfect on a pizza with some ricotta!Sweet and spicy perfection- thanks for the recipe.

4. leahon said:

is there an alternative to the dried peppers?Could you use fresh hot peppers?I have lots in the garden now.Thanks for the notes on amt of pectic and sugar!!

• jeanine来自lov徳赢真人娱乐场eandlem徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏ons.comon said:

Hi Leah,she's not sure if it would affect the acidity level (ie,safety) if you're going to can these – if you're going to just refrigerate them,it'll be fine.

5. chelsea jacobsfrom thegirlwholovedtowrite.comon said:

这看起来真是太神奇了!!!

6. danafrom minimalistbaker.comon said:

Gorgeous recipe!Also,your friend is so cool.我长大后怎么像她??

7. 林赛from theeverydayadventurer.comon said:

Yum!What a nice way to taste summer peaches after they are long gone!Looks delicious.

8. Isabellefrom headredandblondi.blogspot.comon said:

我以前做过果酱,但是从来没有想过开始剥皮的好方法,that tip about cutting a small X… brilliant!!
    And this recipe sounds so good,I love sweet and spicy.

Isabelle @ Head Red & Blondi

9. Nicole B.on said:

这听起来太美味了,我喜欢你使用的剥皮过程。Thanks for sharing.I'll have to give this recipe a try once I can get canning down.The last time I tried,my tops never"popped".

• jeanine来自lov徳赢真人娱乐场eandlem徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏ons.comon said:

I just put mine in the fridge,I'm way to lazy to go through the canning process 🙂

• Nicole B.on said:

Haha good to know I'm not the only one.Things like homemade applesauce would never last long enough for the extra work of canning in our household anyways.I'll let you know how this recipe turns out!!

10. 米歇尔from lovely-little-things.blogspot.comon said:

yum,yum,百胜!!

11. Saskafrom workthathealth.blogspot.comon said:

This looks absolutely great!🙂

12. Sarafrom ofsounds.blogspot.comon said:

Mmm,homemade jam is just the best!My nan makes a delicious apricot jam,I might just ask her to make a peach one for the winter now.

13. Oh my!!!I need lots of this jam in my life…

14. I am so very intimidated by the thought of making jam,but this looks fantastic.I like the idea of just refrigerating it for a month and skipping the canning steps.Thanks for sharing.

15. Tamaraon said:

Love this!It looks so good!I love peach jam and I'm so glad I finally found a recipe to make it at home.谢谢分享。

16. mel morrison said:

REALLY want to make this.Yum.But two questions:
    1) At 3) Macerate: you suggest"on the second day,simmer the mixture again"— but prior to this,when if the first time the mixture is supposed to simmer??
    2)你把斑点辣椒放进去吗(在你吃过之后)——它们最终会变成完整的吗??
    Thanks!!!

• Jeanine Donofrio来自lov徳赢真人娱乐场eandlem徳赢vwin捕鱼游戏ons.comon said:

Hi Mel – you're right,the word"again"is wrong and confusing.That's the first time you simmer and it's optional.2) The chile peppers end up in the final product,they're very tiny.

• Mel Morrison said:

Got it.Thx.Looking forward to giving this a try!!